What is my status? Expired F-1, on OPT

chochoni89

Hello,

What is my current nonimmigrant status? My F-1 expired last year, and I'm working on Extended OPT which is current and expires in December of this year. Am I still a Student status with F-1 even though visa has been expired? Or can I call the Extended OPT a "status"?

Thank you in advance.

Chelsey

Hello,

What is my current nonimmigrant status? My F-1 expired last year, and I'm working on Extended OPT which is current and expires in December of this year. Am I still a Student status with F-1 even though visa has been expired? Or can I call the Extended OPT a "status"?

Thank you in advance.

Chelsey

You are on F1 status.

Hello,

Thank you in advance.

Chelsey

There is a difference between a visa and a status. A visa is an entry document only.

You are in F1 status.

A visa does not provide any status, it is merely a document that allows you to travel to the US and present yourself for inspection/admission. It their most recent I-94 that determines a person's status in the US. An F-1 I-94 is "D/S" or "duration of status." That means as long as you are complying with the terms of the laws and regulations relating to the F-1 classification, you are in F-1 status. OPT is a period of F-1 status, again if you are following all the rules, and F-1 status continues for 60 days after the end of OPT.

Archived