H4-->H1B or H4-->F1-->H1B?

sptl2305

Hi All,

I am currently on OPT STEM Extension which is valid until April end of 2015. My Student Visa F1 has expired and I am currently working on a contract position at a software company. My employer does not plan to sponsor my H1B visa this April. I am trying other opportunities where my H1b sponsorship is available. My question is If I miss this April(2014) H1b deadline, and if I want to visit India in december, what would my options be? Is it safe to ask for F1 extension with a client letter and EAD card? 

Also, if I get married in december and come on H4 visa, is it possible to get H4 to H1 transfer? would H4-F1-H1 be a safer bet for me? I have not heard many cases of H4 to H1B visa changes. 

If I do not leave the country and continue working and get my H1b filed in the next april(2015), Am I eligible for CAP GAP on STEM extension as my EAD would expire in April 2015 end. 

Your help is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you

Hi All,

I am currently on OPT STEM Extension which is valid until April end of 2015. My Student Visa F1 has expired and I am currently working on a contract position at a software company. My employer does not plan to sponsor my H1B visa this April. I am trying other opportunities where my H1b sponsorship is available. My question is If I miss this April(2014) H1b deadline, and if I want to visit India in december, what would my options be? Is it safe to ask for F1 extension with a client letter and EAD card? 

Also, if I get married in december and come on H4 visa, is it possible to get H4 to H1 transfer? would H4-F1-H1 be a safer bet for me? I have not heard many cases of H4 to H1B visa changes. 

If I do not leave the country and continue working and get my H1b filed in the next april(2015), Am I eligible for CAP GAP on STEM extension as my EAD would expire in April 2015 end. 

Your help is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you

Since you are OPT you can apply for a F1 visa. And, you are eligible for cap gap.

Archived