J-1 Waiver, Sending NORI Forms

Nabil2008

Hey !!

I am a Post-doctoral Fellow (Indian Passport holder) based in Connecticut (CT). I currently hold a J-1 visa. While I have been on this visa for 2 years now I am beginning the Waiver process process. As I begin the process I had a couple of questions which I would truly appreciate being answered.

1. Order: Do I need to begin the process with the US Department of State i.e. Form DS 3035 with the due processing fee paid to begin ?

2. NORI forms: Since I am based in CT would I need to submit my forms to the NYC  Indian Embassy or do all my correspondences have to be through the Washington D.C. Embassy Office ?  If it is one or the other please let me know. Moreover, if it is both, could you please specify which documents go to the NYC Embassy and which to the Washington D.C. Embassy.

Within this category, I hold 3 passports (All Indian Passports) i.e. 2 older passports which have expired and one that I currently use. Do I need to turn in all three passports to the Indian embassy?

Thanks for your help !!

N

Hey !!

I am a Post-doctoral Fellow (Indian Passport holder) based in Connecticut (CT). I currently hold a J-1 visa. While I have been on this visa for 2 years now I am beginning the Waiver process process. As I begin the process I had a couple of questions which I would truly appreciate being answered.

1. Order: Do I need to begin the process with the US Department of State i.e. Form DS 3035 with the due processing fee paid to begin ?

2. NORI forms: Since I am based in CT would I need to submit my forms to the NYC  Indian Embassy or do all my correspondences have to be through the Washington D.C. Embassy Office ?  If it is one or the other please let me know. Moreover, if it is both, could you please specify which documents go to the NYC Embassy and which to the Washington D.C. Embassy.

Within this category, I hold 3 passports (All Indian Passports) i.e. 2 older passports which have expired and one that I currently use. Do I need to turn in all three passports to the Indian embassy?

Thanks for your help !!

N

I am guessing your are submitting for a waiver under No Objection category.

For 1, Yes, if you already have three NORI forms from India then you can start the process. 

For 2, As far as I know, first you will submit all the documents to Indian Consulate at NYC and they will forward those to Indian Embassy at Washington. Then Indian Embassy will send the final 'No Objection' statement to the Department of State.

Regarding passports, 

Since NYC is not far from CT, I would suggest going in person with all three passports so that you can present them if needed.  

Follow this link for detailed instructions: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/study-exchange/student/residency-waiver/ds-3035-instructions.html

Hope this helps! Good luck!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Nabil2008,

I am also planning to start my waiver application from NYC, but I am unable to fill up the forms (Bio-data and affidavit) provided at NY consulate website,  as the spacing provided to fill address etc is very small. It will be a great help if you kindly suggest me how did u filled up those forms. handwritten or u typed in those columns?

The form is in Pdf format and are password locked, so i cannot even convert them to word.

pls help!

thanks in advance!

I am guessing your are submitting for a waiver under No Objection category.

For 1, Yes, if you already have three NORI forms from India then you can start the process. 

For 2, As far as I know, first you will submit all the documents to Indian Consulate at NYC and they will forward those to Indian Embassy at Washington. Then Indian Embassy will send the final 'No Objection' statement to the Department of State.

Regarding passports, 

Since NYC is not far from CT, I would suggest going in person with all three passports so that you can present them if needed.  

Follow this link for detailed instructions: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/study-exchange/student/residency-waiver/ds-3035-instructions.html

Hope this helps! Good luck!!

First go head and fill the NORI forms to be attested by Indian consulate that has jurisdiction over the state in US where you stay, along with supporting documents. Once you get them send those attested NORI forms to relevant authorities with a cover letter and supporting documents. During this or after you receive the individual NOC letters from these three authorities from India fill in DS3035 and submit all relevant documents. Approach the Indian consulate with DS3035 confirmation number to get a single NOC. Indian consulate would send the original NOC to Indian embassy and provide you a copy. Indian Embassy would forward it to DOS and after favorable decision it would reach USCIS for final waiver decision.

Hi Nabil2008,

I am also planning to start my waiver application from NYC, but I am unable to fill up the forms (Bio-data and affidavit) provided at NY consulate website,  as the spacing provided to fill address etc is very small. It will be a great help if you kindly suggest me how did u filled up those forms. handwritten or u typed in those columns?

The form is in Pdf format and are password locked, so i cannot even convert them to word.

pls help!

thanks in advance!

Hey Rimpy,

I agree that the form is extremely small for anyone to type their content within it.

I enlarged the image on a word file to fill up the entire page (no spaces or margins). Then I converted the word document to a pdf file. Printed it out. Filled out each of the copies of the document by hand. That said, I must warn even though you may have enlarged the document size, it is still very small and cramped. You have to do whatever you can to fill the the document within the allotted space.  

It's not a perfect solution but its a lot better than the regular sized file that they have attached on the website. 

Hope this helps a bit.

N

• 1 month later...

Hey Rimpy,

I agree that the form is extremely small for anyone to type their content within it.

I enlarged the image on a word file to fill up the entire page (no spaces or margins). Then I converted the word document to a pdf file. Printed it out. Filled out each of the copies of the document by hand. That said, I must warn even though you may have enlarged the document size, it is still very small and cramped. You have to do whatever you can to fill the the document within the allotted space.  

It's not a perfect solution but its a lot better than the regular sized file that they have attached on the website. 

Hope this helps a bit.

N

thanks for ur response. I am also staying in the same region as u are. so possibly I have to follow the same steps as u are now following, was wondering if there is a way to connect in case of further specific queries related to our regions (NYC)

Archived