OPT to H1B then OPT to EB2

ray1986

Hi,

I have graduated from undergrad in the U.S, worked on a OPT for a year and have been working on a H1B for almost 5 years. My employer is applying for a EB2 green card for me this month. However I got into my dream graduate school and in 6 months, I am planning to resign from my job and go to a graduate school in the STEM category. After graduation, I should be able to find a job which should sponsor me relatively easily. I will have an OPT for 12 months  with a 17 month extension and ~6 months left on my H1B as I would have probably used 5.5 years out of the 6 years allowed. I really want to leave my current job and pursue a STEM degree, but I am not going to be able to get a green card after graduation?

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I have graduated from undergrad in the U.S, worked on a OPT for a year and have been working on a H1B for almost 5 years. My employer is applying for a EB2 green card for me this month. However I got into my dream graduate school and in 6 months, I am planning to resign from my job and go to a graduate school in the STEM category. After graduation, I should be able to find a job which should sponsor me relatively easily. I will have an OPT for 12 months  with a 17 month extension and ~6 months left on my H1B as I would have probably used 5.5 years out of the 6 years allowed. I really want to leave my current job and pursue a STEM degree, but I am not going to be able to get a green card after graduation?

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance.

So what is your question?

My question is after I graduate  I will have an OPT for 12 months  with a 17 month extension and ~6 months left on my H1B as I would have probably used 5.5 years out of the 6 years allowed.

Since I will be on OPT and will only have 6 months of H1B left, will I be able to apply for EB2 and get it?

My question is after I graduate  I will have an OPT for 12 months  with a 17 month extension and ~6 months left on my H1B as I would have probably used 5.5 years out of the 6 years allowed.

Since I will be on OPT and will only have 6 months of H1B left, will I be able to apply for EB2 and get it?

If you can find an employer who is willing to initiate GC process and if your I-140 gets approved before your last 6 months available on H1B then employer can file for 3 years extension. 

Archived