OPT expires on 30th march

drone

Hello all,

My OPT expires on 30th march 2014,just two days before the date when the h1b applications can be filed,ie april 1st,I have a good job offer in hands and my employer is ready to file for the h1b.I am aware of the fact that if the opt expires before filing of h1b I will not be able to continue working until october(Assuming that my h1b is approved),any advice would be greatly appreciated as the OPT finish date is cutting very close to the h1b filing start date.Any exceptions for this case?FYI my OPT start date is 2nd of april 2013 and finish date is 30th of march 2014.Thanks

Hello all,

My OPT expires on 30th march 2014,just two days before the date when the h1b applications can be filed,ie april 1st,I have a good job offer in hands and my employer is ready to file for the h1b.I am aware of the fact that if the opt expires before filing of h1b I will not be able to continue working until october(Assuming that my h1b is approved),any advice would be greatly appreciated as the OPT finish date is cutting very close to the h1b filing start date.Any exceptions for this case?FYI my OPT start date is 2nd of april 2013 and finish date is 30th of march 2014.Thanks

Unfortunately no exceptions.

Hello all,

You are eligible for cap gap, but not sure whether you can work during that time.

Student will have a 60 days grace period before his/her H1 is filed properly. But cannot work during that period.

You are right rahul412. Thanks for the information.

Apologies to OP.

The cap-gap extension is available to students who, as of April 1st, 2014 were either on approved OPT or in their 60-day grace period and have a pending or approved change-of-status October 1, 2014 H-1B petition with the USCIS that was filed prior to the expiration of their OPT or 60-day grace period.

• If the employer filed your H-1B petition and it is received by USCIS after your post-completion OPT expires but during your 60 day grace period following OPT, your F-1 status and permission to remain in the US are extended but you are not eligible to work.

Archived