H1 B Status and no SSN-Please help

madz

Hi, I was on H4 earlier and last year my H1b Status got approved. I applied for a SSN on Oct 2nd week of 2013 and the ssn process is still under review and I haven't received my card yet.(  its getting delayed at either DHS or USCIS).

Since am on H1b and do not have a ssn, my payrolls are not being generated and hence no W2 for tax year 2013.

1) Will that cause any problem to h1b status?

2) If i start working now(until ssn is generated), will that be a problem? 

Please help

Hi, I was on H4 earlier and last year my H1b Status got approved. I applied for a SSN on Oct 2nd week of 2013 and the ssn process is still under review and I haven't received my card yet.(  its getting delayed at either DHS or USCIS).

Since am on H1b and do not have a ssn, my payrolls are not being generated and hence no W2 for tax year 2013.

Please help

Employers can run payroll without SSN. Make sure you are paid by employer otherwise you will be considered out of status.

Please help

You need to get paid, even if you don't have the SSN yet.

That is the LAW!

Payroll systems can handle situations where the person doesn't have the SSN yet.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I have one more quick question, is it possible for the employer to report taxes without SSN and do they need to generate payslips starting oct 1st or is it okay if they start generating payslips starting this month?

You had 60 days to report to employer from H1B start date. If you reported to employer you need to be paid from that day.

Archived