I-20 expired before filing OPT application, MS Thesis pending

chatterjee1995

I have a serious situation. I wanted to file OPT application with MS Thesis pending because thesis completion would require another one and a half month. I thought I could apply OPT even after I-20 getting expired. My concept was based on students who apply for OPT after graduate completion and I-20 is valid till the last date of graduation. So I thought I could have applied for OPT even after my I-20 getting expired and in this case its not. I should have verified with DSO and I didn't do it.

Since I have not yet completed my MS degree requirements, I am currently out of status and in which case I can't apply for OPT. Already I have received I-20 extension for 1.5 years (3 times request granted from DSO) in the past. While I contacted DSO and told them about the matter that I was traveling and gone for interview and so I couldn't able to extend my I-20 or file for OPT application before my current I-20 expired. The DSO replied I can finish my thesis degree in which case I have to register for the current spring 2014 semester and go back home. The reinstatement of I-20 will take another 2-6 months and the University academics will not grant that much time. Could you please tell me what should I do to regain my status so that I can get OPT benefits?

Please reply my situation as early as possible because its very urgent and immediate. Thanks in advance for your time and consideration. Best Regards.

Face the fact that your OPT may be gone because you did not complete your degree in a timely manner. If you required 3 extensions when there is usually more than enough time granted initially, you have bigger issues - like a job.

Your best bet is to consult an attorney for a game plan since yo and the DSO do not seem to be communicating.

Can I enroll in the University for the current Spring 2014 and complete my masters degree without I-20 valid status? I want to verify whether it is possible, so that in future if I go back to my country after completion of my degree in out of I-20 status and want to return to US, will I get US VISA again?

Please reply immediately as it is very urgent. Thanks for your time and consideration. Best Regards.

A reputable university / college will not enroll an international student without a valid I-20 issued by the school.  Another may to look at it is that without a valid I-20 you are no longer considered a student in good standing, and thus cannot enroll in classes.  Further, the school will likely have placed you on registration hold so you cannot enroll in classes.

• 1 month later...

What is the chance of getting reinstated of I-20 from USCIS ELIS (online application) applied on 19th March 2014? I didn't finish my thesis work and forgot to extend my I-20 and got out of status. For more than one and half month, requesting Academics administration to allow me to reinstate my I-20, they approved and finally applied for reinstatement on 19th March 2014 to be reinstated till 15th May 2014.

• 3 months later...

Dear Sir/Madam,
I was out of F-1 student status on January 30th 2014. Then I applied for reinstatement of I-20 till May 15th 2014 through USCIS the last date of my degree completion. The USCIS approved reinstatement but that reinstatement approval notice came on June 18th 2014 that says that I have been approved to US legal status till May 15th 2014. But I have completed my MS Mechanical Engineering Degree program on 2nd July 2014. During the time May 15th 2014 and July 2nd 2014, I was working on thesis and submitted my thesis on 2nd July 2014. Could I apply for reinstatement of I-20 again to USCIS from May 15th 2014 to 2nd July 2014 after completion of MS degree so that I can apply for optional practical training to work in US?

I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Best Regards.

Sincerely,
Prasun Chatterjee

Archived