F1 Visa Extension

prashanth119

I got F1 visa in 2009 and i did my Masters. I completed Masters degree in 2011. After that i got OPT(Optional Training) for 29 months and have been working from July 2011. I applied for H1B in April 2013. Since there were many applications there was lottery system last time. I did not get picked in the lottery. My OPT expired in December 2013. I joined another masters program and have I-20. I am currently working on CPT right now. Now my F1 visa expired.  I have plans of going to India in March. While returning i would need an F1 visa stamped. What are my chances of getting the visa?

I got F1 visa in 2009 and i did my Masters. I completed Masters degree in 2011. After that i got OPT(Optional Training) for 29 months and have been working from July 2011. I applied for H1B in April 2013. Since there were many applications there was lottery system last time. I did not get picked in the lottery. My OPT expired in December 2013. I joined another masters program and have I-20. I am currently working on CPT right now. Now my F1 visa expired.  I have plans of going to India in March. While returning i would need an F1 visa stamped. What are my chances of getting the visa?

Is CPT an integral part of your F1 study? Are you sure you are not abusing CPT? Check for CPT abuse in this forum and if you are sure everything you do is according to immigration laws you should be fine.

Tell me something, is your CPT part of your F1 program??

I am doing MBA and i am working as business analyst.

CPT has to be an integral part of the curriculum. Just working in something related is NOT enough.

You are abusing CPT.

Stop working and concentrate on your studies, if you want to have any career in the US.

Abuse of CPT kills your career.

I am doing MBA and i am working as business analyst.

This only suggests that your work is in your 'field', which is not the same as nor means that your work is a required part of your curriculum (for CPT = curriculum practical training), and thus could be illegal.  Following are definitions of the typical scenarios that qualify for CPT employment authorization.

According to the DSO from the major public university they only sign off on CPT employment authorization in limited circumstances, such as ... An internship course published in the course catalog, which requires a sponsoring professor and departmental approval to enroll in the course and then reporting during the internship and often a research paper after the internship submitted to the professor for grading (internship approval often required working on a research project). A cooperative degree program (again published in the course catalog) combining school and work at an approved employer working with the university.

Valid internship courses are typically only available to 2nd + year students. They are almost never available to 1st year students.

Work on CPT employment authorization would only be full-time when school is not in session (e.g. during the summer) or when on work semesters in an cooperative degree program. Full-time work on CPT employment authorization while also enrolled and attending classes is indicative of illegal employment and immigration fraud. On a F-1 visa a person is required to be a full-time student, thus by definition a person who is a full-time student attending classes cannot also be working full-time.

Archived