Safe option? F1-CPT to H1b Or F1 to H1b Or H4 to H1b

h1bsnatch

Hi, 

My current situation 
OPT from first masters expiry date: 25th Feb 2014. 
Started Second Masters with CPT on 11th Jan 2014. 
Currently working on CPT for a consulting company(working at a client location) who is willing to sponsor my H1b on 1st April 2014. 
Question: 
I Know issue of H1b COS or approval for people(people like me) on CPT. 
I have an option of getting sponsorship for H1b from a different company who is ready to sponsor my Visa and let me start my employment on 1st of October.

I have an option to forfeit CPT and be on F1 or and move to dependent status(H4) until the H1b start date with new employer(wife has H1b). 

My concern is, Although the new company is hiring me for a position related to my background, their main business is not related to my background.  What would be my best bet?

Hi, 

My current situation 

Currently working on CPT for a consulting company(working at a client location) who is willing to sponsor my H1b on 1st April 2014. 

Question: 

I have an option of getting sponsorship for H1b from a different company who is ready to sponsor my Visa and let me start my employment on 1st of October.

I have an option to forfeit CPT and be on F1 or and move to dependent status(H4) until the H1b start date with new employer(wife has H1b). 

My concern is, Although the new company is hiring me for a position related to my background, their main business is not related to my background.  What would be my best bet?

Just because you are ready to forfeit your CPT with old employer and new employer is willing to file a H1B does not mean you are out of prying eyes of USCIS. If your CPT is not an integral part of your curriculum whatever you may do you will end up facing the consequences.

Hi, 

My current situation 

Question: 

Forgot to answer the other question. It is not the company's business but the job responsibility and requirement that has to match with your educational qualifications.

Hi, 

My current situation 

Question: 

Forget H1 and STOP working on CPT. What you are doing is nothing but abuse of F1 program.

You will run into trouble now or in future for this abuse, you might not get your H1. So H4 is your only option.

That is abuse of CPT. It will pretty much kill any way to get an H1.

And "forfeiting CPT" doesn't help you. You should have thought of this before going the path of CPT abuse.

You most likely will have to find a job outside the US.

That's what abuse of CPT got you.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for your responses.

Clarification on my end:

1. It is clearly mentioned in my school's policy that CPT is integral part of my course
  2. I am working on a part time CPT not full time. I am regularly attending all my classes without a single absence.
  3. It is school's policy to not allow full time CPT at all. (I am not in *** or similar Universities).

Clarification on my end:

1. It is clearly mentioned in my school's policy that CPT is integral part of my course
  2. I am working on a part time CPT not full time. I am regularly attending all my classes without a single absence.
  3. It is school's policy to not allow full time CPT at all. (I am not in *** or similar Universities).

Looks you are good.

Clarification on my end:

Even if it is legit, it is best to avoid CPT unless it is absolutely required.

The abuse of CPT by fraud universities means that any CPT is a big red flag. At the least, you can expect an RFE

Clarification on my end:

Yes dude, but you are on CPT from first semester. Am I right??

Archived