H1 to F1 - If CoS Gets Rejected

Hello

Could anyone please clarify my questions below? Your help is much appreciated.

I have applied for a Change of Status (CoS) from H1 to F1 using the I-20 received from University A. The application is still pending decision. I decided to go with University B which allows to start the classes even before CoS is approved. University B did not issue me a I-20 and asked me to apply for a SEVIS transfer immediately after CoS is approved after which they will issue me the I-20.

I wanted to be ready upfront just in case CoS gets rejected. So,

- If my CoS via University A is rejected then can I submit a new CoS application via University B?

- If yes, will the University B provide me the I-20 upon request.

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks folks!

It is now clear to me that if CoS is denied, then I have to leave the country since my H1 has expired. However, I am not sure if I should leave immediately or if I have a 60 day grace period to get my stuff packed and move out. Could you please clarify? Any links to official documentation would be helpful.

Thank you for you help!

No grace period and you have to leave immediately.

Thanks folks!

It is now clear to me that if CoS is denied, then I have to leave the country since my H1 has expired. However, I am not sure if I should leave immediately or if I have a 60 day grace period to get my stuff packed and move out. Could you please clarify? Any links to official documentation would be helpful.

Thank you for you help!

The 60-day grace period only applies if the person actually graduated.

If the person drops out of the degree program, there is no grace period.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived