OPT Going from higher to lower degree

hselin

Hi,

I would like to request some insights about OPT when I am going from the higher (doctoral) degree to a lower (MBA) degree.

I had finished all the research work and wrote my thesis and was waiting for the defense (which happened in December 2012). Meanwhile, I started my MBA at another school from August 2012. I was given a new I-20 from the new school with transfer status. I did not take any OPT after or during PhD.

As I am finishing MBA, I need to know if I can avail a 12 month OPT.

Upon inquiring at the international office, I was told that my OPT will likely be declined but they can't stop me from filing an OPT. However, they could not show me a rule saying that "I am not eligible for OPT when I go from a higher to lower degree while I have not applied to OPT previously".

I was wondering if anyone provide input on it, or if anyone has faced a similar situation.

Thanks.

Hselin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I believe you can, and are eligible, for OPT since you never worked after your doctoral degree. Did you complete it? they may be curious though why you are "moving" to MDA from PhD, so be sure to send all necessary documentation like Phd diploma, MBA I-20 etc

Thank you for your reply. 

Yes, I finished my PhD in 2012. The international office is not encouraging me to apply for OPT, however, I don't think they can stop me from applying. Thank you for your suggestion to include some rationale explaining my decision to go for MBA right after PhD.

If I file for OPT, I'll update what happens. 

Thanks.

Hselin

Archived