OPT STEM denied. Risks for H1B

helpless87

Hi everyone,

I graduated from a reputed university in Biomed Sciences. Last year my STEM was denied I could not find a paid job. Now I am on F1 but no cpt, cos my university doesnt give Cpt. I have an employer who wants to file H1B for me this year. And since there are no clinical research jobs without experience, my employer wants to file it in Healthcare as a business analyst as a future employee. He already has a client and a job for me from Oct 1 if approved. What are the risks involved (other than lottery) and what would be the checklist for documentation?

Is there a way he could file it in IT field as I see more opportunities. Please help me as I am running out of time. Thanks

Hi everyone,

I graduated from a reputed university in Biomed Sciences. Last year my STEM was denied I could not find a paid job. Now I am on F1 but no cpt, cos my university doesnt give Cpt. I have an employer who wants to file H1B for me this year. And since there are no clinical research jobs without experience, my employer wants to file it in Healthcare as a business analyst as a future employee. He already has a client and a job for me from Oct 1 if approved. What are the risks involved (other than lottery) and what would be the checklist for documentation?

Is there a way he could file it in IT field as I see more opportunities. Please help me as I am running out of time. Thanks

You must have educational qualifications specifically required for the job otherwise your H1B petition would be denied.

If you do not have a degree in information technology (IT) or computer science (or have many years of direct experience) you are not eligible for a H-1B visa "in the IT field".  If you cannot find proper employment in your field (biomedical sciences) with an employer who will sponsor and file a H-1B petition for you that is the way the world works.  When you came to the U.S. as a student on a F-1 visa you stated you would be returning to your home country.  If you cannot find applicable employment in the U.S. for a work visa, then you need to plan on returning to your home country.  There are not jobs for everyone who wants to be in the U.S.

thank you all for your feedback. Well the thing is even in Healthcare, the background that the job needs is Biomedical sciences with a little bit of IT training but you actually need to have the science base to even take up the job.

My question is there is a job which would match my education, but I dont have previous working experience, so would that affect my H1B application if picked?

Thank you again for the quick response

thank you all for your feedback. Well the thing is even in Healthcare, the background that the job needs is Biomedical sciences with a little bit of IT training but you actually need to have the science base to even take up the job.

My question is there is a job which would match my education, but I dont have previous working experience, so would that affect my H1B application if picked?

Thank you again for the quick response

Look for entry level biomedical jobs like a research associate, junior scientist, research assistant, associate scientist in the field of your study or research. Gain some experience and then move to a higher level.

How many years of experience is needed to become a business analyst? As far as I know it is not an entry level job. Correct me if I am wrong.

And, coming to your point of clinical research jobs that needs experience, if you had done your studies on clinical or biomedical research you could have joined during OPT and also during OPT ext (if it was approved) some small US firms conducting contract based clinical research for clients and this would have gotten you 2 plus years of experience for an employer to file a H1B. To my knowledge firms expect a master's degree with at least 1 to 2 years of clinical research experience.

Archived