Question about J-1 Waiver

danielgc

Hello,

I am now on F-1 Visa working on my masters, I used to held J-1 Visa for a two years exchange program in U.S. After I graduate I am think about work here, so I need to apply for a J-1 waiver, when I look at my DS-2019 form and find my "Current Program Sponsor Funds" (Sponsor is my exchange program school, a public university), has $100.00 for funds. "Personal Funds", has "24,000". The "Total" is $24,100.

My question: Did the $100 funds considered as U.S. Government funds, funds from my own government or funds from an international organization that received funding from the U.S government or my home country's government?

Thank you.

Hello,

I am now on F-1 Visa working on my masters, I used to held J-1 Visa for a two years exchange program in U.S. After I graduate I am think about work here, so I need to apply for a J-1 waiver, when I look at my DS-2019 form and find my "Current Program Sponsor Funds" (Sponsor is my exchange program school, a public university), has $100.00 for funds. "Personal Funds", has "24,000". The "Total" is $24,100.

My question: Did the $100 funds considered as U.S. Government funds, funds from my own government or funds from an international organization that received funding from the U.S government or my home country's government?

Thank you.

Only money that has been earmarked for exchange visitors counts for the two year HRR. For example, money through one's advisor's NSF grant does not count. So you might not be subject to the two year HRR due to funding. Be aware that you also become subject if your field of study is listed in the skill's list for your country, or if you are a medical doctor who received medical training in the US. 

Hello,

Thank you.

You should take 'advisory opinion' to find out about if you are subjected to HRR. Good luck!

Archived