when to apply for COS H4 to F1 , and OPT

sapstudent

I am planning to get admission in a community college for 2 years associate degree program in CIS, with major in MIS, from summer which is going to be start from the month of May. I will join there on H4 visa right now, as i can avail the in district tution rate, 

I want to know ..

1.when should I apply for COS H4 to F1.?

2. When should I apply for OPT ?

3. Anyone having any idea whether CIS degree comes under STEM or not?

4. I have MBA degree in Finance from India, now after completing CIS associate degree I want to pursue my career in SAP FICO. Anyone having any idea whether I will be eligible for OPT in my desire field or not? (I have taken cis in mis as there are no other course relating SAP for associate degree in any college)

5. If for any reason , there is any gap in the degree program , will it affect in anyway to get the OPT.

Please suggest anyone, 

Thanks in advance 

A associates degree program in a community college is not eligible for OPT employment authorization (and maybe not even a F-1 visa).  OPT employment authorization is only available to graduates that have earned a Bachelors, Masters, or PhD degree from a fully accredited U.S. university / college.

• 2 months later...

A associates degree program in a community college is not eligible for OPT employment authorization (and maybe not even a F-1 visa).  OPT employment authorization is only available to graduates that have earned a Bachelors, Masters, or PhD degree from a fully accredited U.S. university / college.

Catx, this is not true at all. F1 students enrolled in community college and has earned associates degree are eligible for OPT. Students will need to apply for OPT in co-ordination with ISO. 

• 2 months later...

Oh is it true, even I thought community college students cant apply for F1 visa and OPT?

You got wrong information.

Community Colleges are run by tax-payer money and almost each county in the US has community college. If you check any community college's website, i.e. (Phoenix--Maricopa county community college, Austin--- Austin Community College, Dallas--Dallas county Community college, Fort Worth--Tarrant County Community College, norther Virginia--northern Virginia community college to name few) they have designated international office where F1 students can enroll and gain credits towards Associates degree or transfer those credits to 4 yr. university. In most cases, community colleges partner with public university where students can enroll con-currently. 

Once students completes the degree (Associates degree) or is in process of completion (last semester), they'll need to contact ISO office and apply for graduation and OPT in co-ordination with ISO. 

But in your case, you're applying for Master's degree and if you are planning to enroll into community college then that would not be a good idea :)

Archived