SSN and Passport name mismatch

jaffmohamed

Hi,

My passport name doesn't match with my SSN (I-94) name. I approached the SSN office and requested them to change my SSN as given in my passport. But they said they can only go with what is given in my I-94. All my credit history in U.S is based on my SSN.

Now I'm filing my I-485. Which name I should use. Passport name or SSN name ?

Please help.

Thanks,

Jaffarali Mohamed

Thanks for your response. I'm living in the U.S since 1998 and all my history goes with my SSN name. Won't they do a back ground check as part of GC processing. If they use my Passport name, I'm afraid that they won't be able to get any match. Will it not create any issues ? Please clarify how to handle this situation.

If you have used one name all the time would not that mean that it is your name? I mean, seriously... and may I guess, that's the name you signed you question by?

By the way, before you ask the question, it pays to look through the I-485 petition. It does have the space to list other names used.

P.S. I never used the passport spelling of my name in the US either. I never had an issue or a single question over it.

Belly,

So far I never had issues going with a different name in U.S which is different from my passport. Now that I'm applying for GC this is becoming an issue !

My Big Question is, should I use my passport name in the I-485 primary name section and SSN name in the Other Name section or vice-versa ?

Name in my passport :

SurName : Mohamed Jaffarali

First Name : Mohamed Omar Faruk

Name in I-94 and SSN:

SurName : Mohamed

First name : Jaffarali

It all started during my first Visa stamping in 1998. Due to space constraint, they put a part of my SurName (JAFFARALI) as the first word of my First Name. Then at Port of Entry, JAFFARALI became my First name.

Kindly advise how to handle this situation.

Thanks.

Why is it an issue? Anyone is asking you questions, issuing RFEs? If not, it is not yet an issue.

Put your name the correct way into your green card. At the end of the day, you will have one document where your name is stated correctly. And start putting it correctly into I-94s.

Let me help Mohammad a little here.

What Belle means (or intends) here , if you haven't clearly understood it is -

If your name(as you think, want and believe it to be) is Jaffarali,Mohamed, then use that as your name and use the other name Mohamed Jaffarali,Mohamed Omar Faruk as other names used.

On the contrary, if your name is (as you think want and believe it to be) is Mohamed Jaffarali,Mohamed Omar Faruk, then use that as your name and use Jaffarali,Mohamed as other names used.

Simple ?

Name in my passport :

SurName : Mohamed Jaffarali

First Name : Mohamed Omar Faruk

Name in I-94 and SSN:

SurName : Mohamed

First name : Jaffarali

Archived