H4 to F1 with a twist!

iamammo

Hello Murthyites,

Am in a little bit of a pickle here, hoping someone can help.

1) My wife is currently in her 2nd semester on H4. 

2) She wants to switch to F1 soon. What's her best option?

a) Apply for a change of status to F1 which will most likely get approved. The travel outside the US and risk not getting it stamped and come back on H4.

a) Go outside the US (India/Canada/Mexico) and apply for a fresh F1 visa, and come back on H4 if that doesn't come through.

Thanks

The university is U C Berkeley, so that shouldn't be a problem. I just keep reading on forums that there is a risk and wanted to find out a little more. 

So is "Going outside the US (India/Canada/Mexico) and applying for a fresh F1 visa" a good option? That would be the quickest.

The university is U C Berkeley, so that shouldn't be a problem. I just keep reading on forums that there is a risk and wanted to find out a little more. 

So is "Going outside the US (India/Canada/Mexico) and applying for a fresh F1 visa" a good option? That would be the quickest.

For somebody who got into UCB, there shouldn't be an issue anywhere in the world...

The risk you were reading about on forums is for people who signed up with shady 4th-tier institutions.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with everyone here. I had a bunch of friends who visited on OPT period and needed a visa to re-enter ( some had expired F-1 visa and some had a change of status situaiton). All were granted visas. As long as your I-20 is valid and you are from a decent university ( not necessarily top ranked but state universitties or somewhat known private universities, you should be fine).

Archived