H4 to F1 OPT to H1b - Stamping question

phantom1979

I came to USA on a H4 Visa. I converted to a student visa to do a masters degree. I am currently on OPT which is valid until Nov 2014. My employer will be applying for H1B this march.

I am planning to visit India in May of this year. This is the first time i am visiting india after converting to student F1 visa. My passport does not have a stamping for F1.

The questions i have are as below.

[1] Assuming that my h1b is approved before my visit to India, should i be getting visa stamping on h1b or F1? What are the risks associated with this? Note: my opt is still valid until nov and h1b start date if approved will be in Oct.

[2] Assuming that my h1b application is still pending, should i be getting a stamping on F1? Will there be any risks on this?

If there are others who have been through a similar situation, i would appreciate if you could share some details on your experience.

Thank you

Sonu

The questions i have are as below.

[1] Assuming that my h1b is approved before my visit to India, should i be getting visa stamping on h1b or F1? What are the risks associated with this? Note: my opt is still valid until nov and h1b start date if approved will be in Oct.

[2] Assuming that my h1b application is still pending, should i be getting a stamping on F1? Will there be any risks on this?

1. If you travel when your H1 is under process then your H1 I94 will not match with your latest I94 and you might have to cross the border to get new I94 and also H1 visa

2. Yes.

Archived