Applying for L2 visa while I am working on H1

garimaggupta

I am currently working H1 visa for a client through Consultant.

This position might end soon and my consultant is not able to find jobs for me which suit my profile.

CORP-To-CORP is not working too well either because of some legal concerns.

There are 2 positions I cleared my interview for did not work because of legal verbiage.

My wife is Canadian citizen is working on L1 visa in US. Her visa is good for next 2 years.

MY question was can I apply for L2 visa from within US and work on my L2 status (after I get my EAD)

so I am not tied to my specific consultant anymore.

Assuming I can do that what happens to my H1 status? Do I need to go to Canada or back to India to get my L2 visa stamped?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Sunil.

I am currently working H1 visa for a client through Consultant.

This position might end soon and my consultant is not able to find jobs for me which suit my profile.

CORP-To-CORP is not working too well either because of some legal concerns.

There are 2 positions I cleared my interview for did not work because of legal verbiage.

My wife is Canadian citizen is working on L1 visa in US. Her visa is good for next 2 years.

MY question was can I apply for L2 visa from within US and work on my L2 status (after I get my EAD)

so I am not tied to my specific consultant anymore.

Assuming I can do that what happens to my H1 status? Do I need to go to Canada or back to India to get my L2 visa stamped?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Sunil.

You can apply for a COS from H1B to L2 and apply for EAD. This might take 3 to 4 months. But, if you go outside for L2 visa stamping it is quick. Your H1B petition would be revoked by employer. But, it will not prevent other employers from filing a cap exempt H1B petition for you later. The good thing is period of stay and work on L2 status is not counted towards 6 years max stay allowed on H1B status.

Archived