H4 status[F2 visa stamp] to F1 COS

user_H4toF1

Hi All,

I came to the US on F2 visa last year. My husband's firm applied for COS for both him and me from F1/F2 to H1B/H4 respectively and I am on H4 status for the last 6 months. His company has just started his green card process but its in very early stages and my name isn't included anywhere as yet. I recently got an admit from a top tier university for an MBA program and plan to apply for an F1 visa. The program begins in Fall '14 and I would need to change status in order to intern during summer next year. I have a few questions:

1) I plan to apply for COS here and then go to India for visa stamping. As I cannot return to the US 30 days before the start of program, I was also considering going to Canada as due to its proximity I can travel there even after my semester has started and spend less time away. What would be a better thing to do?

2) If my visa gets denied and I apply for H4 visa stamping, will my earlier rejection affect my chances of getting an H4 visa stamped [either at Canada/India]?

3) Will my husband's GC process initiation be a problem? We plan to return to India after a few years and both our parents and homes are in India. To show strong ties to India would it help to show sponsorship from my parents, in-laws and husband [As I was staying with my parents and moved to US after my marriage there are very things under my name though]?

Really appreciate candid feedback. Thanks a lot for your time.

Hi All,

I came to the US on F2 visa last year. My husband's firm applied for COS for both him and me from F1/F2 to H1B/H4 respectively and I am on H4 status for the last 6 months. His company has just started his green card process but its in very early stages and my name isn't included anywhere as yet. I recently got an admit from a top tier university for an MBA program and plan to apply for an F1 visa. The program begins in Fall '14 and I would need to change status in order to intern during summer next year. I have a few questions:

1) I plan to apply for COS here and then go to India for visa stamping. As I cannot return to the US 30 days before the start of program, I was also considering going to Canada as due to its proximity I can travel there even after my semester has started and spend less time away. What would be a better thing to do?

2) If my visa gets denied and I apply for H4 visa stamping, will my earlier rejection affect my chances of getting an H4 visa stamped [either at Canada/India]?

3) Will my husband's GC process initiation be a problem? We plan to return to India after a few years and both our parents and homes are in India. To show strong ties to India would it help to show sponsorship from my parents, in-laws and husband [As I was staying with my parents and moved to US after my marriage there are very things under my name though]?

Really appreciate candid feedback. Thanks a lot for your time.

1. You can do that. But, what would happen if you are put on 221g?

2. Can't say for sure.

3. No.

Thanks a lot for your answers Jairichi. Getting an 221g when my semester has started would indeed be a problem. For the F1 application would it help to show sponsorship from my parents, in-laws and husband or just is one source of funding preferred?

@t75 - I am sorry if it came out incorrectly - Don't wish to deprive anyone of anything. There is still a bit of a conflict in my head regarding this decision but my husband's sure about permanently staying in the US. 

Thanks a lot for your answers Jairichi. Getting an 221g when my semester has started would indeed be a problem. For the F1 application would it help to show sponsorship from my parents, in-laws and husband or just is one source of funding preferred?

@t75 - I am sorry if it came out incorrectly - Don't wish to deprive anyone of anything. There is still a bit of a conflict in my head regarding this decision but my husband's sure about permanently staying in the US. 

It would be better if your husband could be shown as your sole sponsor. If that is not an option then include your parents.

Archived