Need urgent admission to any US college

Shruti_Reddy

I'm on a J1 visa (with a 2 year home country requirement) and unfortunately will be laid off on Monday. I have a family (husband is on H1) and cannot afford to leave them and go back to my home country. I don't have much time to wrap up things after Monday as all this is sudden. I've been told the only option for me to remain in this country and buy some time is to get an admission in any US college (I already completed a Grad program in this country on a F1 visa and have my TOEFL and GMAT). I've been trying to research for any such colleges but was not successful. I hope someone here is aware of such colleges. Thank you for all your help during these difficult times.

No LEGITIMATE university is going to admit you after the start of the term.

Your husband can certainly return to your home country with you and the children. His work visa grants you NO special consideration. His is a GUEST (IE temp) worker only.

When you accepted the J-1 job, you were aware of the HRR requirements. It is really irresponsible for you to expect that you are so special that you do not have to comply with what you willingly agreed to. You expected the J1 to give you a benefit that you could not obtain in some other way. You gambled and lost. It is not "difficult times"; it is life.

"Affording" to go home is not the issue. The US government expects you to OBEY THE RULES.

I'm on a J1 visa (with a 2 year home country requirement) and unfortunately will be laid off on Monday. I have a family (husband is on H1) and cannot afford to leave them and go back to my home country. I don't have much time to wrap up things after Monday as all this is sudden. I've been told the only option for me to remain in this country and buy some time is to get an admission in any US college (I already completed a Grad program in this country on a F1 visa and have my TOEFL and GMAT). I've been trying to research for any such colleges but was not successful. I hope someone here is aware of such colleges. Thank you for all your help during these difficult times.

If your husband is on H1 then why don't you go for H4 and then buy some time to get an admission in US college.

You CANNOT get admission in ANY real school within 1 day. It takes 3-4 months processing to get an admission.

Moving to a school to study on F1 status is not possible at this stage. If you are working on J1 status you have 1 month from monday to look for another job that is eligible on J1 status.

You cannot get admission to a reputable, accredited university / college mid semester.  There are application deadlines months in advance of the starting semester.  Any such college that would offer immediate admission would be highly suspect and most likely of questionable (if not outright fraudulent).

Who told you that your "only option" is "to get an admission to any U.S. college"?  Did you consult with a qualified, experienced immigration attorney?  You posted that your "husband is on [a] H-1B" visa. Why can you not change status to a H-4 visa?

University admission applications take several months.

And there are deadlines for applications.

I think it is possible to change to H4 even with the HRR.

Archived