options to correct out of status F1 Visa.

Pratik

Hello, 

I am a student on F1 visa and I had an internship with CPT end date of Oct 11, 2013. I accidentally continued to work after my CPT end date (for 20 days) as I thought that I can work when I had applied for an extension to the DSO.

When I came to know that I worked illegally I immediately reported to the DSO. Now, the DSO has put me out of status and wants me to start the reinstatement procedure by filling up the i539 form. 

Are there chances of getting reinstated, given that i had no intention to work illegally and that I immediately reported to the DSO about my work. I have excelled academic records and no felony history. 

Should I go for the travel alternative? where I am issued a new I20 and i can reenter US to start fresh. Is there a risk of being caught at the airport?

I am in urgent need of expert opinion as my school wants me to choose among the alternatives as soon as possible. 

Thanking. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, 

I am a student on F1 visa and I had an internship with CPT end date of Oct 11, 2013. I accidentally continued to work after my CPT end date (for 20 days) as I thought that I can work when I had applied for an extension to the DSO.

When I came to know that I worked illegally I immediately reported to the DSO. Now, the DSO has put me out of status and wants me to start the reinstatement procedure by filling up the i539 form. 

Are there chances of getting reinstated, given that i had no intention to work illegally and that I immediately reported to the DSO about my work. I have excelled academic records and no felony history. 

Should I go for the travel alternative? where I am issued a new I20 and i can reenter US to start fresh. Is there a risk of being caught at the airport?

I am in urgent need of expert opinion as my school wants me to choose among the alternatives as soon as possible. 

Thanking. 

If your F1 visa is still active...I think you can travel, you should be fine at port of entry as they don't  see all these things on your passport.

If your F1 visa is still active...I think you can travel, you should be fine at port of entry as they don't  see all these things on your passport.

Do not assume that immigration officials at the port of entry would not "see all things" in your immigration history.  Since your DSO is not providing specific advice (which is probably okay in this situation), you should consult with a qualified, experienced immigration attorney to assess your options and advise you on the process that poses the lowest risk / has the best chance for a successful outcome.

Archived