OPT STEM Extension

febsenthu

Dear Members - 

I did my Masters from US University. After my graduation have used my both OPT and OPT Extension. Have returned to my home country after completion of my OPT STEM Extension. 

H1b Visa was applied for me and Since I am leaving the country the Petition was withdrawn by my employer in the midst when it was pending.

Now I am planning for Doctoral Degree program in STEM field at US University.

Question 1 : Am I Eligible for OPT for Doctoral Degree Program ?

Question 2 : Am I Eligible for OPT Stem Extension for Doctoral Degree program in STEM field

Regards

Senthil

A person who has used OPT is eligible for a new OPT after completion of a higher degree.

When you enroll in a doctoral degree program, OPT stuff should not really be on your mind. The research should be on your mind, because that's what you are going to eat, drink and sleep 24/7 for the next couple of years.

Dear Members - 

I did my Masters from US University. After my graduation have used my both OPT and OPT Extension. Have returned to my home country after completion of my OPT STEM Extension. 

H1b Visa was applied for me and Since I am leaving the country the Petition was withdrawn by my employer in the midst when it was pending.

Question 2 : Am I Eligible for OPT Stem Extension for Doctoral Degree program in STEM field

Regards
Senthil

1. Yes.

2. Yes

One OPT for each level of degree. Since this is your first PhD, you are eligible for OPT

A person who has used OPT is eligible for a new OPT after completion of a higher degree.

When you enroll in a doctoral degree program, OPT stuff should not really be on your mind. The research should be on your mind, because that's what you are going to eat, drink and sleep 24/7 for the next couple of years.

@ JoeF: In stead of saying couple of years I would say 5 to 7 years :)

• 3 weeks later...

That is correct.. But what should his family/kids eat :) ? His Bills/Living etc if he is not funded or Less funded? . I don't see a reason why not Jairichi shouldn't consider his options. All the Best for your Future Endeavors Jairichi..  

That is correct.. But what should his family/kids eat :) ? His Bills/Living etc if he is not funded or Less funded?

Well, people drop out of graduate programs all the time due to not having funding.

That's life.

A person who chooses to sign up for a PhD program knows beforehand that it means poverty for a couple of years.

See the well-known "PhD Comics" series, started by a guy who was a graduate student then. A recurring topic in that comic is food.

Now, we can discuss if graduate researchers should be paid better (I think they should), but that doesn't quite belong here.

There have been cases where mothers stole food with the explanation/excuse "the child is starving." Certainly heartbreaking, but the mothers still get convicted.

Again, it could be discussed if that is ethically/morally acceptable, but that discussion doesn't belong here, either. There are a bunch of forums where this is discussed.

That's life.

A person who chooses to sign up for a PhD program knows beforehand that it means poverty for a couple of years.

See the well-known "PhD Comics" series, started by a guy who was a graduate student then. A recurring topic in that comic is food.

Now, we can discuss if graduate researchers should be paid better (I think they should), but that doesn't quite belong here. |||| I Agree. 

There have been cases where mothers stole food with the explanation/excuse "the child is starving." Certainly heartbreaking, but the mothers still get convicted.

Again, it could be discussed if that is ethically/morally acceptable, but that discussion doesn't belong here, either. There are a bunch of forums where this is discussed.

:) LoL I saw some similar initials of yours on those forums: Read a bunch of'em:  OMG! I never wanna go there at all.. I am safe here :)

Different Life's - Different people - Different periods of time - Different situations - Different paths/choices - May be same country/same rules. It's absolutely great choice to do PhD - maybe some became poor as they didn't plan well or they dont have options then. 

I dont think PhD = [steal food/get convicted/live poor]. Its a priviliged higher education for everyone... And Today's Immigration LAWS gave provision to work under some rules/conditions. So Why Not analyze those conditions.. I felt he can definitely think of OPT/CPT.. Please correct me if wrong, here!!

Somehow by your comment I felt 'choosing OPT/Work while study' is crime and we are violating LAW by that thought in mind, even when USCIS/Immigration LAWS were grantin'em, 

Archived