H4 to F1: What happens when denied?

viswa_tvl

Hello everybody,
This will be my first post to this forum. Perhaps, if someone has already experienced the below situation or is knowledgeable about it,

please provide your response/opinion, as this will be of immense help to me in planning & decision making. Thank you so much for your time.

I am on H-4 visa, completed one semester in a full-time M.S. program in a good public university in Northern Virginia. Now (Feb-2014) I am planning to convert to F1 visa and have gathered all required documents (Although studying in H4 itself is a viable option which I have done in my previous graduate program, I wish to convert this time). I am not applying for a COS; instead I have planned to travel to India (my home country) for stamping.

Questions:

1) In case my F1 gets rejected, will my H4 be still valid for me to travel back?
2) Are there any circumstances in which the H4 visa will be canceled?
3) The current stamped H4 visa is valid till Sep-2014 (and the primary H1-B is eligible for extension to reach the 6-year cap). Under this time frame, my understanding is that I can travel even during May/Jun 2014, if I wish to do so, right? As long as it is within Sep-2014, I should be good to travel using my current stamping, correct?

Any response is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Hello everybody,

This will be my first post to this forum. Perhaps, if someone has already experienced the below situation or is knowledgeable about it,

please provide your response/opinion, as this will be of immense help to me in planning & decision making. Thank you so much for your time.

I am on H-4 visa, completed one semester in a full-time M.S. program in a good public university in Northern Virginia. Now (Feb-2014) I am planning to convert to F1 visa and have gathered all required documents (Although studying in H4 itself is a viable option which I have done in my previous graduate program, I wish to convert this time). I am not applying for a COS; instead I have planned to travel to India (my home country) for stamping.

Questions:

1) In case my F1 gets rejected, will my H4 be still valid for me to travel back?

2) Are there any circumstances in which the H4 visa will be canceled?

3) The current stamped H4 visa is valid till Sep-2014 (and the primary H1-B is eligible for extension to reach the 6-year cap). Under this time frame, my understanding is that I can travel even during May/Jun 2014, if I wish to do so, right? As long as it is within Sep-2014, I should be good to travel using my current stamping, correct?

Any response is highly appreciated.

Thanks

1. Yes.

2. I can't think of one.

3. Yes.

F1 entry is time limited before the start of school.  Too early of an entry attempt would need to be on H4 with a COS or an exit and reentry with valid stamping which can be obtained earlier than the earliest entry date.

Speak to the DSO at the school for complete information.

Users "jairichi" and "t75",

Thanks a lot for your time and your responses. Those were really helpful.

To user:t75,

What does the below comment mean? Can you please elaborate on this? We are meeting with the DSO tomorrow morning.... (Just to give you  a quick heads-up; my MS program commenced in Aug-2013 and I am already into my 2nd semester now)

" F1 entry is time limited before the start of school.  Too early of an entry attempt would need to be on H4 with a COS or an exit and reentry with valid stamping which can be obtained earlier than the earliest entry date. Speak to the DSO at the school for complete information. "

Thanks once again.

• 1 month later...

Archived