OPT for a student in H4 (Visa)

vinothkumarc

Hi,

I am on a H4 Visa and I am currently undergoing a Fulltime MS Degree in Clinical Trial Sciences. I am insisting Full Time because, last year I received my tax document mentioning it is a full time course and I have completed 18 credits last year. But it is an online program. I have tried to apply F1 by requesting for Form I-20. But my university denied my request stating this course is not eligible for F1, as it is an online program.

I will be completing my course soon. I would like to know whether I am eligible to apply for OPT. Is it a mandatory requirement that I should be on a F1 to apply for my OPT?

Hi,

I am on a H4 Visa and I am currently undergoing a Fulltime MS Degree in Clinical Trial Sciences. I am insisting Full Time because, last year I received my tax document mentioning it is a full time course and I have completed 18 credits last year. But it is an online program. I have tried to apply F1 by requesting for Form I-20. But my university denied my request stating this course is not eligible for F1, as it is an online program.

I will be completing my course soon. I would like to know whether I am eligible to apply for OPT. Is it a mandatory requirement that I should be on a F1 to apply for my OPT?

On H4 there is no OPT. Only on F1 you could get OPT. Care to share the name of the university?

You do not qualify.  I find it hard to believe that this was the best choice of programs for you. 

If you have graduated before April 1 and can find an employer, that employer can file for an H1B on your behalf.  If selected and approved, you would begin work on Oct 1 or later.

Archived