OPT f1 to H4 stamping

sam_20

Hello,

This is my current situation:

1. I got my OPT aproved and got my EAD card in May 2013.

2. Since then I have been seaching for employment and applied for higher education programs but the employment search has been unsuccessful.

3. I was not aware of the 90 day unemployment rule as I was under the impression that my visa status would be valid for the time mentioned and printed on the EAD card.

4. As I have realized that my F1 status might be in jeopardy, I would like to change my visa to H4 as my husband works under an H1b visa as a full time employee.

5. What are my best options? Staying for the period of my OPT in the USA while my husbands company processes the H4 for me or to immediately leave the USA and go to India from where I can apply for H4 stamping.

6. Also, will my chances be better in going to the visa stamping process along with my husband as a family as he also needs to get his stamping done back home.

7. Will joining another program and obaining another I-20 be a viable option as well?

8. I realize I should have paid better attention to this situation as I was completely unaware and caught up in applying for programs and volunteering with my professor for practical knowledge.

9. As soon as I found this out I wanted to take the best possible course of action to rectfy this.

Looking forward to your best suggestions as I would stand to gain a lot fom this!

Thank You

Sam

Hello,

This is my current situation:

1. I got my OPT aproved and got my EAD card in May 2013.

2. Since then I have been seaching for employment and applied for higher education programs but the employment search has been unsuccessful.

3. I was not aware of the 90 day unemployment rule as I was under the impression that my visa status would be valid for the time mentioned and printed on the EAD card.

4. As I have realized that my F1 status might be in jeopardy, I would like to change my visa to H4 as my husband works under an H1b visa as a full time employee.

5. What are my best options? Staying for the period of my OPT in the USA while my husbands company processes the H4 for me or to immediately leave the USA and go to India from where I can apply for H4 stamping.

6. Also, will my chances be better in going to the visa stamping process along with my husband as a family as he also needs to get his stamping done back home.

7. Will joining another program and obaining another I-20 be a viable option as well?

8. I realize I should have paid better attention to this situation as I was completely unaware and caught up in applying for programs and volunteering with my professor for practical knowledge.

9. As soon as I found this out I wanted to take the best possible course of action to rectfy this.

Looking forward to your best suggestions as I would stand to gain a lot fom this!

Thank You

Sam

You are out of status now. Your COS from F1-OPT to H4 would be denied as you are out of status for a long time. You need to exit and enter US with a valid H4 visa.

Archived