Relocation agreement

pglkd

Short question: 

Employee H1B is filed by a company and he is paid relocation allowance for internal relocation as a perk. He quits the company soon and doesn't repay the relocation money back. Can the employer complain to the USCIS and flag his case in any way? If he is out of the country on vacation and returning can he be stopped at immigration?

Details:

I quit my previous job 3 months ago after 6 months of service.I had a relocation repayment agreement with the company and I quit within the minimum time required per this agreement (1year). ($9000). After reminding me once via email, the company HR also seems to have either forgotten or let it go. I will soon be leaving the country for a month-long business trip for my new job and am wondering if my previous employer can somehow feedback to the USCIS about this situation and this could lead to my being stopped at border control for unpaid dues. Can border control can stop me from entering the country if it has a complaint from my previous employer? What are my rights in this situation? I will have a valid H1B visa at the time of entry, an EAD and am waiting for AP - but I'll use my visa to enter.

Short question: 

Employee H1B is filed by a company and he is paid relocation allowance for internal relocation as a perk. He quits the company soon and doesn't repay the relocation money back. Can the employer complain to the USCIS and flag his case in any way? If he is out of the country on vacation and returning can he be stopped at immigration?

Details:

I quit my previous job 3 months ago after 6 months of service.I had a relocation repayment agreement with the company and I quit within the minimum time required per this agreement (1year). ($9000). After reminding me once via email, the company HR also seems to have either forgotten or let it go. I will soon be leaving the country for a month-long business trip for my new job and am wondering if my previous employer can somehow feedback to the USCIS about this situation and this could lead to my being stopped at border control for unpaid dues. Can border control can stop me from entering the country if it has a complaint from my previous employer? What are my rights in this situation? I will have a valid H1B visa at the time of entry, an EAD and am waiting for AP - but I'll use my visa to enter.

USCIS has nothing to do with this. Employer can initiate legal proceedings against you in a court of law.

That would be a civil case. The employer could file a lawsuit against you (maybe they have already), and if you don't show up, there may be a judgement against you.If you get some other job in the US, the company may get a ruling to confiscate most of your salary to pay back the expenses.

That would also make it harder for you to get a job.

This is a civil matter.  You have the right to appear in court to respond to a lawsuit from your former employer.

If you are detained or denied entry, you have the right to retain an attorney to pursue remedies that vary by reason for the problem and the status in which you attempted to enter.

NEVER sign a contract - especially one which you may not honor 100% - without consulting an attorney BEFORE you sign.

Archived