Applying H1B after 6 years completion

tvenumadhava

Hi

I completed 6 years on H1B last March and came back to india. I know after completing 6 years on H1B I have to spend one year out side US before I can enter US again on H1B.

My question is do I need to wait entire 1 year to complete before applying for H1B visa or I can start the paper work now and when my 1 year is complete I can go for VISA stamping and travel to US in March/April

Thanks,

Venu

Hi

I completed 6 years on H1B last March and came back to india. I know after completing 6 years on H1B I have to spend one year out side US before I can enter US again on H1B.

My question is do I need to wait entire 1 year to complete before applying for H1B visa or I can start the paper work now and when my 1 year is complete I can go for VISA stamping and travel to US in March/April

Thanks,

Venu

You need to stay outside US for 365 days before an employer can file a cap subject H1B petition to get full 6 years. You are lucky as you left US at the appropriate time. In your case employer can file in April 2014 with a start date of Oct 2014.

The only US VISA I had was H1B. In March 2014 I will complete 365 days stay outside US, Is it possible to travel to US on L1. How soon can I travel on L1 to US after march? And if I apply H1 in March/April when is the earliest I can travel to US.

Thanks for you responses

Venu

Make sure your L1 petition is filed after being outside US for 365 days to get 7 or 5 years based on L1A or L1B petition. If employer files a H1B petition in April 2014 the earliest you can enter US on H1B is 10 days before H1B start date of 1st Oct 2014 i.e. you can enter by 20th Sept 2014.

You have to meet L1 requirements for work outside the US.  If a petition for you is approved, you may travel 10 days before approved start date (probably Oct 1)

If you have already been to the US for 6 years, why are you posting such a basic question?

Archived