Change of Status from F1 OPT to H4

nirav284

My wife is on F1 OPT and that expired on 19-Dec-2013 but in Oct-2012 she applied for OPT extension as a STEM student.

Today on 9-Jan-2014 she got RFE. We will be answering to it but since she is unemployed during whole OPT and doing volunteer work since

last month so I dont see bright chances for RFE.

I am on H-1 and want her to bring on H4 as my dependent now. What is the procedure? Can I do it on my own or I have to ask my

H-1 holding employer to do it? Also how long it will take? And she wont be OUT OF STATUS until we send RFE reply and they reject the

application right?

My wife is on F1 OPT and that expired on 19-Dec-2013 but in Oct-2012 she applied for OPT extension as a STEM student.
Today on 9-Jan-2014 she got RFE. We will be answering to it but since she is unemployed during whole OPT and doing volunteer work since
last month so I dont see bright chances for RFE.
  I am on H-1 and want her to bring on H4 as my dependent now. What is the procedure? Can I do it on my own or I have to ask my
H-1 holding employer to do it? Also how long it will take? And she wont be OUT OF STATUS until we send RFE reply and they reject the
application right?

What is RFE about? If she was not working and being paid during OPT she is out of status for a very long time. Where is she now? In US or home country? Before you do anything of your own talk to an immigration attorney.

Archived