Marriage in India.. Divorce in USA

krish_5555

Hi,

My name is Ramya.. I was married 3 years before. He was a citizen here. He applied green card for me and right now I am in green card holder and came US 3 months before. I came to know that he is maintaing illegal affairs with other women. So I want to give him divorce. So is it possible to give divorce in USA? If it is given here it is valid in India?

Can anybody help me what is the exact procedure should I should for divorce in this situation?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

My name is Ramya.. I was married 3 years before. He was a citizen here. He applied green card for me and right now I am in green card holder and came US 3 months before. I came to know that he is maintaing illegal affairs with other women. So I want to give him divorce. So is it possible to give divorce in USA? If it is given here it is valid in India?

Can anybody help me what is the exact procedure should I should for divorce in this situation?

An affair is not illegal, it could be immoral. Give your marriage a chance, after all he got you your GC right?

An affair is not illegal, it could be immoral. Give your marriage a chance, after all he got you your GC right?

If what was posted is true and the husband is having "affairs with other women", then the husband is not giving the "marriage a chance".  In the this situation she is under no obligation, including because she got her permanent residency (green card) through marriage, to give the "marriage a chance", and has every right to get a divorce.

• 2 weeks later...

If what was posted is true and the husband is having "affairs with other women", then the husband is not giving the "marriage a chance".  In the this situation she is under no obligation, including because she got her permanent residency (green card) through marriage, to give the "marriage a chance", and has every right to get a divorce.

Thanks for the advice.... It is 2 year green card.. I am going to apply for divorce....So it will be valid in India if I took divorce here in USA.

So it will be valid in India if I took divorce here in USA?

That is completely subject to the laws of India, and would need to answered by someone with that knowledge.  (Respectfully, this is a U.S. immigration forum, and as such there are probably better places to ask that question.)

Thanks for the advice.... It is 2 year green card.. I am going to apply for divorce....So it will be valid in India if I took divorce here in USA.

Yes. Just like marriages in other countries are valid in the US, a divorce in the US is also valid in other countries.

Archived