F1 Visa - Lost Passport - Need advise

GPK2017

Hi Experts,

I know the question I am asking is quite common, and I have read most of the comments before I posted mine as I felt I had different questions that still need answers. if you'll could provide the expertise, it would be a great help.

I am student ,F1 visa obviously and recently misplaced it (lost it). I have already filed an FIR and am going to the BLS office in SFO to get a replacement (new ) passport.

Now my questions are

1. Should i get an approval from the embassy before I go to BLS as it says on their website (embassy is not responding to calls or emails).

2. Once i get the passport I am planning to leave the country only after completion of 9 months of course (currently 3 months done) as it said on SEVIS website that you should not leave before nine months. So could i get the stamping done in Mexico (50 miles away) or Canada or should i go back to India for it. 

3. What kind of documentation is needed for the visa stamping again, Could I just attach my old visa , I -94 and active I-20 or should get all my banking documentation re-done again.

Please provide your expert comments and also if I did miss any challenges i might face, please address them too.

Hi Experts,

I know the question I am asking is quite common, and I have read most of the comments before I posted mine as I felt I had different questions that still need answers. if you'll could provide the expertise, it would be a great help.

I am student ,F1 visa obviously and recently misplaced it (lost it). I have already filed an FIR and am going to the BLS office in SFO to get a replacement (new ) passport.

Now my questions are

1. Should i get an approval from the embassy before I go to BLS as it says on their website (embassy is not responding to calls or emails).

2. Once i get the passport I am planning to leave the country only after completion of 9 months of course (currently 3 months done) as it said on SEVIS website that you should not leave before nine months. So could i get the stamping done in Mexico (50 miles away) or Canada or should i go back to India for it. 

3. What kind of documentation is needed for the visa stamping again, Could I just attach my old visa , I -94 and active I-20 or should get all my banking documentation re-done again.

Please provide your expert comments and also if I did miss any challenges i might face, please address them too.

1. If it is mentioned then you need to follow that route.

2. In your situation I would say home country.

3. All documents similar to your first interview including police report of your last passport.

Thank you Jairichi...

That raises one more question for me... 

All documents similar to your first interview including police report of your last passport.

Does that mean the is a chance of Visa rejection again. Will the copy of Visa , I-94 SSN and active i-20 not help.

Thank you Jairichi...

That raises one more question for me... 

Does that mean the is a chance of Visa rejection again. Will the copy of Visa , I-94 SSN and active i-20 not help.

You never mentioned about visa rejection in your initial post. Anytime you go for renewal of visa you cannot get a new one stamped just showing old visa stamped in passport. Documents are needed for specific visas and you need to provide them. Talk to your DSO or international student advisor or attorney.

You never mentioned about visa rejection in your initial post. Anytime you go for renewal of visa you cannot get a new one stamped just showing old visa stamped in passport. Documents are needed for specific visas and you need to provide them. Talk to your DSO or international student advisor or attorney.

My Visa did not expire. I still have another 4 years and 9 moths because it took it only 3 moths ago. Sorry if I did not frame the question properly.

My question was , given the point that I lost my passport , will they conduct interview again or will they just see the documentation and approve the Visa... am worried about the discontinuation of studies if they reject the Visa...

My Visa did not expire. I still have another 4 years and 9 moths because it took it only 3 moths ago. Sorry if I did not frame the question properly.

My question was , given the point that I lost my passport , will they conduct interview again or will they just see the documentation and approve the Visa... am worried about the discontinuation of studies if they reject the Visa...

You would be interviewed again at US consulate and you would need to produce all relevant documents similar to your 1st stamping. Why are you bothered about rejection when F1 visa was approved earlier? As long as you have not violated any immigration law and all your documents are good there is nothing to worry about.

Thank you jairichi..I don't think I violated any rules of SEVIS or USCIS ,maybe was just over cautios to know the possible outcomes. Anyways your help is greatly appreciated...and I do read a lot of your posts here and you do a wonderful job.

Thanks again

Thanks for your kind words. I would strongly suggest you to pay a fee and talk to a good immigration attorney like from murthy law firm. They would clearly let you know the specific course of action. This will help you in avoiding any unforeseeable  problems.

This information from Boston University says the F1 visa is only needed when you enter the US – you need to replace it the next time you travel to another country. You need to reapply through the original route from abroad if you are reentering the US otherwise you won’t be allowed to come into the US as an F1 student- http://www.bu.edu/isso/students/current/f1/status/replace-i20-i94-f1.html. Keep a copy of all your documentation so you have up-to-date records.

Archived