Speeding ticket violation and DS-160

rahul.2111

Hello,

I have recently returned from the US to get my visa H1B re-stamped in Chennai. I am trying to fill up the DS-160 form and having trouble responding to one of the questions.

Have you ever been arrested or convicted for any offense or crime, even though subject of pardon, amnesty or similar action?

I have never been arrested. However, I had a speeding ticket violation for travelling 17 mph over the posted speed limit. I had pleaded guilty in front of the judge and requested to get it adjudicated by offering to take a defensive driving course. However, I missed the date and continue to have the violation on my driving record. The incident took place in Austin, Texas around August 2013.

Was my violation an offense or crime that needs to be reported on the DS-160 form?

Your help in answering this question is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Rahul   

The fact you failed to meet the requirements imposed with your guilty plea complicate your situation.  I expect what is really your status is determined by the state where the offense was committed and the actual disposition. I could envision circumstances where there could be  a warrant for your arrest. While this is unlikely you need to consult an attorney with the specific documents.

• 9 months later...

Archived