Immigration reform and legal immigration for those waiting to file i485

Hi,

I'm a legal immigrant from india, awaiting for my date to become current in the EB2 category. There's been a lot of hearsay about immigration reform and one of the posts on Murthy news also said that 'all those waiting for more than 3 yrs will get EAD' if I'm immigration reform were to take place.

1. Can someone please clarify if the above statement ('all those waiting for more than 3 yrs will get EAD' ) still holds good ?

2. Does this include all the people waiting in EB2 category or only those who've had their masters education from US ? The reason I ask this is because I qualify for EB2 as my experience exceeds 12 yrs at the time of filing.

Kindly advise.

Thanks,

Chaitali

Immigration reform is at a standstill in Congress (and has been for awhile).  It is clear that the comprehensive immigration reform bill, S, 744, passed by the Senate this past summer will not be taken up in the House of Representatives (i.e. it is going nowhere).  A few "piecemeal' immigration reform bills may come up in the House of Representatives in the next few months, but probably nothing until March time frame at the earliest.

Bottom line ... (1) whatever you heard was not accurate -- and more importantly (2) any immigration reform bills that may come up in 2014 will be new so anything you heard in the past will not apply.

• 7 months later...

Your PD becoming current is more likely than the immigration reform being passed by the congress in 2014.

I mean that speculating on PD is more predictable than speculating on the passage of immigration reform.

President Obama should show leadership and pass Executive action to pass the immigration reform (both in its current form or a modified version of it) in 2014, 

He said in rose garden couple of weeks ago that he would do something by the end of summer 2014. So let's wait for his action.

Since the actions taken would be clear the backlog in legal immigration system, all those who have been waiting for their PD to become current may be positively impacted. But by how much is anybody's guess at this time.

Archived