Graduate Student on J1 Visa. Can I seek employment abroad?

prs2013

Hi,

I am a Graduate Student in New York, currently on a J1 visa. I have an opportunity to take up part-time work abroad while continuing my studies here in the US. I want to know if taking up paid-work with a non-US organization that is based outside the US would violate my J-1 visa status in the US. Any insights/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

I am a Graduate Student in New York, currently on a J1 visa. I have an opportunity to take up part-time work abroad while continuing my studies here in the US. I want to know if taking up paid-work with a non-US organization that is based outside the US would violate my J-1 visa status in the US. Any insights/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I do not think you can take employment outside US while on J1. Wait for others opinion.

Graduate students generally have time for little else but their university obligations.  If you think you have time for an outside position, you are either not attending a high quality university or are doing yourself and your adviser a disservice.

Thanks. I specifically mentioned the possibility of part-time work, so I wonder how the question of attending a lesser institution or doing disservice to adviser comes up. Thanks anyway for responding. It seems clear from other responses that this is not an option for me.

A graduate degree program done as normally expected is more than a full time job.  If you are taking 9 hours of course credit, that is expected to be at least 36 hours a week of study time.  Add your research and work with prof and you are easily expected to do 60 to 80 hours a week.

Archived