J1 expiration to H1b

IGaa

My J1 expired end of November and currently I'm on a 30 day grace period. My J1 waiver ( with interested government agency) for the 2 year home residency requirement was approved by the DOS. I am currently awaiting on the prevailing wage certification by the DOL (filed 8 weeks ago) before filing for H1b. Can I still legally remain in the country (without being out of status) and file for H1b after the expiration of my grace period since I am in the middle of adjusting my status? Please advise

My J1 expired end of November and currently I'm on a 30 day grace period. My J1 waiver ( with interested government agency) for the 2 year home residency requirement was approved by the DOS. I am currently awaiting on the prevailing wage certification by the DOL (filed 8 weeks ago) before filing for H1b. Can I still legally remain in the country (without being out of status) and file for H1b after the expiration of my grace period since I am in the middle of adjusting my status? Please advise

Before your J1 30 day grace period expire your H1B petition has to be filed. If not you are out of status.

Archived