Can I travel without the original I-797?

svt29

Hi,

I lost my I-797 original copy however I do have a valid visa stamp on my passport and I also have a duplicate copy of my I-797. Is it safe for me to travel outside the country and return back? I have never been asked for the 797 when returning back but my lawyers tell me that I need to have the original with me. Also, if I do travel without the original, can they deny me entry into the country? I plan to apply for a duplicate 797 but apparently that will take 4-6 months.

-S

Hi,

I lost my I-797 original copy however I do have a valid visa stamp on my passport and I also have a duplicate copy of my I-797. Is it safe for me to travel outside the country and return back? I have never been asked for the 797 when returning back but my lawyers tell me that I need to have the original with me. Also, if I do travel without the original, can they deny me entry into the country? I plan to apply for a duplicate 797 but apparently that will take 4-6 months.

-S

Yes, you need to carry your original with you.

• 3 weeks later...

You need the original. It is not worth traveling without it as the border officers are tough and they are within their rights to deny entry for any valid reason – and not having the original document is a valid reason. If you absolutely must travel in the case of an emergency before you get the replacement I would say seek legal advice on what to do.

Archived