Financial documents for F2 visa when Primary visa holder on OPT

sudheer059

Dear Forum mates,

I'm a F-1 visa holder and working on OPT currently. I am applying for a dependant visa (F2) for my wife. My college generated a new I-20 for me and added an additional amount of 3000 $ as expenses for the dependant. So, the total amount shown in my I-20 is 33000. So, when applying for a dependant visa ,

1. Do I have to show financial statements showing that I can cover expenses for the whole amount shown in my I-20 or only for the additional amount (3000$)?

2. I have taken statments from a bank as proof of financial ability while applying for my F1 visa. NOw, can I show my paystubs as proof of financial capability ?

3. If I am required to show proof of financial ability for the whole 33000 $, can I submit a statement that my dad would sponsor this amount? Though my pay stubs would cover this whole amount, I do not have sufficient amount in my bank account now.

Thank you.

AFAIK, you should have the financial documents which says that covers the whole amount ($33,000 in your case)

Also, you can request your bank to provide you a letter stating the average balance of your account for a time period of either  3 or 6 or 12 months. This should serve your purpose. Your bank statements alone doesn't work.

Again, its not the statement. An official letter from the bank would be required either here or your home country.

Archived