What about the unused portion of my H1B if I go back to full-time F1 graduate school

HappyLife312

Hello!

I have a question about "transferring" between H1B and F1 visa. Say I ask my employer to sponsor my H1B visa in April 2014 (I'm currently in OPT), I'll start H1B in October 2014 if I win the lottery.  If I decide to go back to full-time F1 graduate school in July 2015, I'll have more than two years of H1B unused.

When I graduate in July 2016 (it's a one-year program), can I still use my unused H1B visa? Do I need to ask my new employer to sponsor a brand new H1B just like I never had one?

Thank you so much! 

Hello!

I have a question about "transferring" between H1B and F1 visa. Say I ask my employer to sponsor my H1B visa in April 2014 (I'm currently in OPT), I'll start H1B in October 2014 if I win the lottery.  If I decide to go back to full-time F1 graduate school in July 2015, I'll have more than two years of H1B unused.

When I graduate in July 2016 (it's a one-year program), can I still use my unused H1B visa? Do I need to ask my new employer to sponsor a brand new H1B just like I never had one?

Thank you so much! 

In 2016 your new employer can file a cap exempt H1B petition anytime and on approval you can start working for employer immediately and you would get 6 years - years spent already on H1B.

Archived