OPT 90 day unemployment period about to expire

CA1986

Hi

My OPT 90 day unemployment period is about to expire on Jan 1 2014. I have a job now. I will be starting my work from Dec 23rd. But when I tried to inform my DSO about this update, I got an automatic email from them saying that the university is closed until Jan 1 for the holidays and they'll open only on Jan 2nd. But by the time they update my employment status I would have already crossed the 90 days. I tried contacting them but there is nobody respoding.

Cay you suggest me what I can do?

Thanks

Hi

My OPT 90 day unemployment period is about to expire on Jan 1 2014. I have a job now. I will be starting my work from Dec 23rd. But when I tried to inform my DSO about this update, I got an automatic email from them saying that the university is closed until Jan 1 for the holidays and they'll open only on Jan 2nd. But by the time they update my employment status I would have already crossed the 90 days. I tried contacting them but there is nobody respoding.

Cay you suggest me what I can do?

Thanks

This is such an important issue and you are contacting them by email. Try going in person and try your luck. They should be open on Dec 26 & 27.

You should have keep up with the university's schedule; they were likely there on Friday afternoon. Why would you think anyone would be there on a Saturday or Sunday?.  Talk to the DSO on the 2nd. That is the best you can do.

Failure to properly plan on your part is never a crisis for anyone but you.

If (1) you have documentation from your employer that you started work (in the field of your degree) before January 1 (e.g. December 23), and (2) the automatic e-mail you got from the university DSO was an Outlook away message (which means your e-mail dated the day you sent it is still in the DSO's inbox), then you should not have an issue as your have documentation (including receipt of the away message) that you are in compliance with the OPT employment authorization requirements.

One note, your employment starting December 23 needs to be paid work, and not some so-called unpaid 'training' or 'internship'.  The USCIS has been taking a position that such unpaid 'work' is not employment and would be considered unemployed time.  (Shady consulting companies have been unscrupulously using unpaid graduates on OPT employment authorization as free labor.)

Archived