Did I make a mistake ?

Justonequestion1

Hello,

This is my first post here and I hope there will not be too many others as I am known to be a good student who usually does not do mistakes. here the situation.

I am F-1 student, authorized to off campus work via part time CPT. In my field of studies it is extremely uncommon that someone would get offered a regular work or internship so what happens is to get asked by a possible employer for a substitute work that just requires a few days of actual attendance and work. This is more for the resume than the actual money. For instance, I do not believe that I worked more than 50 hours all semester (that gives you an idea of that I in first place study and only worked randomly on the side !).

When I got offered substitute work with two different employers, my main instructor approved it and also stated in an email to the school's DSO that he will approve every sort of substitute work in my field of studies  I am offered as he knows it will not distract me from my course of studies and my resume will benefit from it.

Now the following: a few weeks ago, I got offered work by another employer for just one day of substitute work (of course, like usual, related to my field of studies). While I was very happy to do it and confirmed it I knew I only had two days to let my schools DSO know about it so it could get put on my records. However in these two days it was impossible for me to get touch with him,when I stopped by at the office he was not there and on the phone I could not reach him. As time was running up, I fulfilled the one day job, got also payed, (had to give ssn) and a few days laters ( less than a week) stopped by again at the DSO's office. Now for possible future engagements with this one employer, he is on the list of allowed work on CPT on my papers, but was what I did ( working before it was on the i20)  a violation ? And if so, what could the consequences be ? As I am planning on leaving the country for a few weeks in some time due to vacation, I am afraid it could cause problems with reentering ? :-( What do you think ?

I am extremely worried I did something wrong and only recognized that once it was too late and am very sorry for that.  I do not misuse my cpt and only worked on a very few ocassions so far without ever having done any violation.

I hope I did not damage my visa situation by acting like this. IS there anything I can do ? 

Thank you for the answers already.

Archived