Cutoff dates for F2A category (India) - just 3 months of waiting time?

Hi,

First of all, thanks Murthy staff for providing this great forum, and to everyone for sharing their knowledge and insights here.

My question is regarding interpreting the cut-off dates for (family sponsored) F2A category specified in visa bulletin:

December 2013 VB (http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_6211.html) states the cut-off date for F2A visa (India) is "08SEP13".

Does it mean that someone applying for GC through F2A category in September 2013, might get GC in Dec 2013? 

This would imply a wait time of just 3 months, I have been hearing historic wait times of about 5 years. 

What am I missing here? 

To give some background about myself:

I am single indian male on GC for last 2 years and 5 months.

I plan to get married to someone in India soon and apply for FBGC for her and hence the questions above.

Thanks for reading my post, have a great day ahead.

Does it mean that someone applying for GC through F2A category in September 2013, might get GC in Dec 2013? 

The priority date cutoff dates published in each month's Department of State (DoS) Visa Bulletin have nothing to do with processing times.  It would take a lengthy post to properly explain the immigration process under the F2A family based preference category, the required steps and applications / petitions involved, the typical processing time(s) (which are variable), and the meaning of the various dates, etc.  You can read up on the process on various immigration web sites (not forums), but it would be best to consult with a qualified, experienced immigration attorney who will explain the process and options applicable to your situation.

Thanks t75, catx for your reply, appreciate it, yes, I have gone through the immigrant lifecycle of F1--->H1-->GC.

A very optimistic me has this question( I could not find its answer easily),

Can I apply for fiance visa immediately after submitting my N-400? Or do I have to wait till my citizenship is granted and then only I can apply for fiance visa?

Thanks in advance.

Archived