OPT EXTENSION DEAD LINE and SEVIS TRANSFER

singhprash258@gmail.com

Hello,

I am currently on OPT Extension and dead line of my OPT Extension is on DEC 23rd 2013. I am planning to join another University to maintain my status. But due to admission delay I am not able to do my SEVIS transfer before DEC 23rd 2013,

My questions are below, please help me as I am tensed about my status and leaving USA.

1) Will I be out of status after Dec 23rd 2013 ?

2) If my admission is delay, can I get my SEVIS transfer after DEC 23rd 2013 and continue my studies and also keep up my status without leaving Country ?

3) Will my SEVIS will expire after DEC 23rd 2013, if it is not transfered ? If YES, should I leave country and get new SEVIS ? If NO, Do we have any

Grass- time with in which I can transfer my SEVIS to new School ?

KIndly reply to me as soon as possible.

Thank you

Hi singhprash,

once your opt ends you have 60 days GRACE period to get another F1/H1/...... If you are going for another school new F1, then you need to tranfer from old F1 to new F1. this transfer should be requested before your F1/OPT ends or max with 60 days from either ends. For some reason if you are requesting transfer after 60 days of grace period then you need to request transfer to USCIS -this process is called "reinstatement of your status". After 60 days of extension period, if you do not have anything/ peding request in your hand, then you will be out of status.

But in your case if your are losing your dead line for few days due to holidays, then you can talk w/ DSO of new school and he should help you with transfer/ guide you for reinstatement if required.

If possible request new DSO to do transfer only as it will be deal between 2 schools.

If new DSO recommends- 1. reinstatements then I would suggest get help of an immigration lawyer for this.

2. leave the US to get visa stamped & renter- then I want to tell you "leaving-stamping-rentering" can be more riskier.

GoodLuck

Sam.   

Archived