H1b is expiring, perm pending. Planning to apply for Tourist visa(B2)

Tust326

Hello All,

My h1b expires Feb 01 2014 and PERM pending. Not sure if perm gets cleared before my h1b expires. I am planning on extending my stay on B2 (traveller visa) after my h1 expires. With the PERM pending, not sure if applying B2 is a good idea. What do you guys recommend?

Can we apply B2 visa from USA. Do we need to go outside the USA for the interview?

Thank you all for any suggestions.

Hello All,

My h1b expires Feb 01 2014 and PERM pending. Not sure if perm gets cleared before my h1b expires. I am planning on extending my stay on B2 (traveller visa) after my h1 expires. With the PERM pending, not sure if applying B2 is a good idea. What do you guys recommend?

Can we apply B2 visa from USA. Do we need to go outside the USA for the interview?

Thank you all for any suggestions.

You may file  Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status.

Refer to http://www.uscis.gov/i-539

Just be aware that you will not be able to work on B2 status.  

If possible, work out a deal with your employer to work from outside the country, if the nature of your job permits working remotely.

Just an FYI, ppl with priority dates in April 2013 are getting actions on their PERM applications in Dec 2013.  So you have a rough idea on how long your PERM will take.

Thank you blancx.

I check the DOL site frequently, and I know they are processing the April applicants.

I have heard people saying that it's not a good idea to change to B2 as it may affect my GC process. I have no idea how one has to do with another.

May be because the US Govt will assume that you worked while on B2. Who knows.  I think there was an article on Murthy on options to continue staying after H1 expires or after layoffs while on H1.  

If working remotely is an option, please pursue that.  Does the nature of your job permit remote working?

Archived