H1b is expiring, perm pending. Planning to apply for Tourist visa(B2)

Tust326

Hello All,

My h1b expires Feb 01 2014 and PERM pending. Not sure if perm gets cleared before my h1b expires. I am planning on extending my stay on B2 (traveller visa) after my h1 expires. With the PERM pending, not sure if applying B2 is a good idea. What do you guys recommend?

Can we apply B2 visa from USA. Do we need to go outside the USA for the interview?

Thank you all for any suggestions.

Hello All,

My h1b expires Feb 01 2014 and PERM pending. Not sure if perm gets cleared before my h1b expires. I am planning on extending my stay on B2 (traveller visa) after my h1 expires. With the PERM pending, not sure if applying B2 is a good idea. What do you guys recommend?

Can we apply B2 visa from USA. Do we need to go outside the USA for the interview?

Thank you all for any suggestions.

You can apply for a COS from H1B to B2. I would suggest you to leave US a week or two before H1B expiry and later apply for H1B extension based on PERM pending for more than 365 days, if PERM is not yet approved.

• 7 months later...

It is a bad idea because Visitors are not entitled to work visa.(period)

Similar to F1 Visa, under B1/B2 visa you have to provided assurances that you have residence abroad to which you have no intent to abandon.

http://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-visitors-business/b-1-temporary-business-visitor

So, I am assuming that you lived in USA for the six years of H1B. That means you have NOT LIVED in your international residence for atleast 6 years. 

Can you please convince me (let alone a Visa officer) that you will go back to your international residence after the Visitor Visa expires ?

Archived