changing status H1 to H4

rcna3512

hi, 

I am currently working on H1 and so is my husband. My h1 is expiring on 12th march 2016. however i am unable to find new project and hence have decided to resign the company.

My husbands h1 is valid till 25th March 2014. His employer has just now initiated his extension process. My last date in my company is 20 dec 2013. I have filled out the I539 form for changing my status to h4.But before filing, I had the below questions - 

1. when i file the i539, what date should i mention in Part 3, point 1 : "Date for this new status" ? should it be 25 March 2014(husbands visa expiry date) ? 

2. If Qn 1 is YES , then will I have to reapply for extension when my husbands visa gets extended ? If yes, by when will i need to reapply for the same? 

3. how long does it take for approval for COS. will it come before 25 march 2014 ? if not, what should i do if this date has crossed ? 

4. Is it advisable to wait till my husbands extension is acknowledged and they send an acknowledgment receipt, so i can file my i539 along with this receipt number ?

5. Or should i wait till the extension is approved so  i can mention the new extended date ?

6. What happens between my resignation date and the date when i receive the acknowledgment receipt for my COS ? 

Please help me in answering when should i file this form ? I know there is very less time ! 

any quick response is highly appreciated. 

thanks! 

Archived