transefer H1B visa from non-profit org to For profit company

grauntgar

Hello

I got my H1B visa approved through a non-profit firm. I used to volunteer form them since June 2012. I started on payroll with them in April (On CPT through my university) and at the same time got my application in. I already have a masters, so I went through the Masters quota. My application also went through the Lottery system, so I guess this means that I did not use any Cap exemption but I may be wrong assuming this. 

Now i am planning to move to a for-profit company in 2014. I want to know how the process will go. what kind of expenses I am looking for and can I even transfer my visa from non-profit to a for-profit company.

Please suggest. I can provide any info about the visa application that I had or the process through which it went. 

Thanks a lot

Hello

I got my H1B visa approved through a non-profit firm. I used to volunteer form them since June 2012. I started on payroll with them in April (On CPT through my university) and at the same time got my application in. I already have a masters, so I went through the Masters quota. My application also went through the Lottery system, so I guess this means that I did not use any Cap exemption but I may be wrong assuming this. 

Now i am planning to move to a for-profit company in 2014. I want to know how the process will go. what kind of expenses I am looking for and can I even transfer my visa from non-profit to a for-profit company.

Please suggest. I can provide any info about the visa application that I had or the process through which it went. 

Thanks a lot

Normally a non-profit organization does not apply for a cap subject H1B petition. To join a for-profit organization, the employer has to file a cap subject H1B petition in April 2014 and on approval you can begin working from Oct 1st 2014. Expenses are not your concern as they have to be paid by employer.

An H1 from a non-profit is not necessarily cap-exempt.

Only H1s from universities, non-profit research organizations affiliated with universities, and government research organizations are cap-exempt.

Such non-profits can not file H1s under the cap.

If your application went through the quota, the H1 wasn't cap-exempt.

An H1 from a non-profit is not necessarily cap-exempt.

Only H1s from universities, non-profit research organizations affiliated with universities, and government research organizations are cap-exempt.

Such non-profits can not file H1s under the cap.

If your application went through the quota, the H1 wasn't cap-exempt.

I did go through Quota and my application was selected from Lottery. The company I am working for is a non-profit 501©(3) company. I am not getting laid off or anything, but I want to change my job because I can get much more pay in a for-profit company. 

My question basically is that because I went through a quota and was not Cap Exempt, if I try to join a new company, do I have to apply for a new H1B in April and wait for it to get approved till October 2014 to get approved? If I have to go through this process, can I keep working with my current non-profit organization till that time?

I did go through Quota and my application was selected from Lottery. The company I am working for is a non-profit 501©(3) company. I am not getting laid off or anything, but I want to change my job because I can get much more pay in a for-profit company. 

My question basically is that because I went through a quota and was not Cap Exempt, if I try to join a new company, do I have to apply for a new H1B in April and wait for it to get approved till October 2014 to get approved? If I have to go through this process, can I keep working with my current non-profit organization till that time?

If you are 100% sure that you went under cap when working for a non-profit organization then you can move to a for-profit employer when the employer files a cap exempt H1B petition and gets approval. You can keep working for your current employer till petition with new employer gets approved.

Archived