What happenes if i receive my F1 in the middle of the semester?

WaitingforF1

Hi all,

Currently i am waiting on my F1 visa.My next semester starts in january 2014.If i recieve my F1 with start date of feb 2014 is my semester that has started in january considered on F1?

No. If you want to start your semester on F1 and if you think it would not be approved in time you need to exit and enter US with F1 visa.

Hi all,

Currently i am waiting on my F1 visa.My next semester starts in january 2014.If i recieve my F1 with start date of feb 2014 is my semester that has started in january considered on F1?

Are you in the US?

If you are in the US in a status that allows studying, e.g., H4, you can study just fine, and you can continue when you get the COS to F1.

If you are outside the US, you would have to get an F1 visa and enter with that for the next semester.

Are you in the US?

If you are in the US in a status that allows studying, e.g., H4, you can study just fine, and you can continue when you get the COS to F1.

If you are outside the US, you would have to get an F1 visa and enter with that for the next semester.

JoeF, if OP is in US and COS from H4 to F1 gets approved in Feb rather than Jan (beginning of semester) what status will he/she be from Feb?

I am currently in US and on H4 visa.I started my MS in fall 2013.I was hoping i will get F1 by jan.Just wanted to know what happens to know what happens if i recieve F1 with FEB start date.Is my semester considered on F1 or on H4? I have to decide how many courses i have to register based on this criteria.

Thank you all.

I am currently in US and on H4 visa.I started my MS in fall 2013.I was hoping i will get F1 by jan.Just wanted to know what happens to know what happens if i recieve F1 with FEB start date.Is my semester considered on F1 or on H4? I have to decide how many courses i have to register based on this criteria.

You'd be on F1 from the start date of the F1 I-94.

It doesn't really matter for the university. Your status in their records gets set at the beginning of the quarter/semester, when you enroll and pay the fees. You have to provide an update to them, i.e., give them a copy of the I-94 when the F1 gets approved, but that doesn't change any university-internal registrar thing for the current quarter/semester. So, to make sure you are legal according to the USCIS rules, make sure you enroll for a full course load, even if you are not on F1 yet.

Hi all,

Hi,

If you register for 9 credits, in January on H4 and you receive COS approval in Feb (by first week, but check with DSO) you will be considered F1 student from that semester itself. 

Archived