Applying for J1 waiver.

stewari

Hi Guys:

My J-1 visa is going to expire this month and I've a valid DS2019 till Sept next year. I have heard people saying that you need to apply 6 months prior to your visa expiry. Wondering if it is true OR it doesn't matter as long as your visa is valid at the time of waiver application.

Would appreciate your response. Accept my apologies if the query is pretty basic.

Thanks,

Shiv

Hi Guys:

My J-1 visa is going to expire this month and I've a valid DS2019 till Sept next year. I have heard people saying that you need to apply 6 months prior to your visa expiry. Wondering if it is true OR it doesn't matter as long as your visa is valid at the time of waiver application.

Would appreciate your response. Accept my apologies if the query is pretty basic.

Thanks,

Shiv

You can start J1 waiver well in advance and get the final waiver from USCIS. Once you get final waiver you are allowed to be in J1 status till the expiry date of your current DS2019.

Hi, I just found out today that I need to apply for a J-1 waiver. I got my PhD in the US and am working as a postdoc but my skills are listed under the special skills list. I am having a tough time finding the right webpage for instructions on how to obtain the NOC and appropriate forms to fill out. Please can someone kindly point me to a link?

I read through several posts and see that of the 3 NOCs, one is from the passport office. My current passport was issued in Chicago (my original one in Mumbai). Should I apply to Indian consulate in Chicago for NOC?

-thank you so much. 

Hi, I just found out today that I need to apply for a J-1 waiver. I got my PhD in the US and am working as a postdoc but my skills are listed under the special skills list. I am having a tough time finding the right webpage for instructions on how to obtain the NOC and appropriate forms to fill out. Please can someone kindly point me to a link?

I read through several posts and see that of the 3 NOCs, one is from the passport office. My current passport was issued in Chicago (my original one in Mumbai). Should I apply to Indian consulate in Chicago for NOC?

-thank you so much. 

http://www.indianconsulate.com/contents/view/9

From passport office Mumbai.

Thank you.

On the NORI form, for #11 - "admission into colleges/universities", it is 'yes'?

I wasn't 'sponsored', but did study at a govt engineering college.

"Have you been sponsored and provided with certain privileges, such as admission into Colleges, 

Universities or employment with the Government of India/Government of any State in India?" 

Thank you.

On the NORI form, for #11 - "admission into colleges/universities", it is 'yes'?
I wasn't 'sponsored', but did study at a govt engineering college.

"Have you been sponsored and provided with certain privileges, such as admission into Colleges, 
Universities or employment with the Government of India/Government of any State in India?" 

You answer is NO if you did not get any government scholarship or funding.

• 8 months later...

I had the same issue with the question "Have you been sponsored and provided with certain privileges, such as admission into Colleges, Universities or employment with the Government of India/Government of any State in India?"

For my masters, I went to a government institution in India that pays all of its students monthly stipends. Does this mean that I need to answer "Yes" to the above question? If so, will there be any impact on my No Objection to Return to India application? [i'm currently on J-1 status as a postdoc and don't receive any form of government funding whatsoever from either India or the US.]

I would really appreciate it if someone can answer this question. Many thanks!

Archived