Asking for SSN for full time job? but don't have SSN yet : urgent suggestions required

shilpi86

Hi All,

I had H1B approved 2 year back but never used H1B and was in USA on H4 and worked here in one company on voluteer based without salary

I showed that company experience on my resume and got full time job, Now this company is asking me for SSN number while accepting offer

but I don't have SSN, if tell them I still don't have SSN they might ask me how did you work and if tell them if I worked on volunteer based still I am afraid they may think something else

I am not sure how do I handle this situation and I really need this job .. any advise

Hi All,

... in USA on H4 and worked here in one company on volunteer based without salary

Working effectively as an unpaid employee on a H-4 visa is unauthorized employment, and is illegal and immigration fraud, for which you could be deported and face a entry ban.  You cannot work on a "volunteer based without salary" for a company on a H-4 visa.  (You can only be a volunteer in a role where all other persons are also volunteers, such as for a church.)

Whether you "really need this job" or not does not matter, you cannot work.  You cannot accept an employer offer nor can you get a social security number (SSN) on a H-4 visa.  The employer would be correct to "think something else" (as working on a volunteer basis is still illegal) and rescind the employment offer. 

You were working illegally.

On H4, you can NOT work, not even for free. That's illegal.

You will have to leave the country.

The new employer can file an H1 for you, but until that is approved, you can not work for them in any way or form, not even for free.

Hi All,

I had H1B approved 2 year back but never used H1B and was in USA on H4 and worked here in one company on voluteer based without salary

I showed that company experience on my resume and got full time job, Now this company is asking me for SSN number while accepting offer

but I don't have SSN, if tell them I still don't have SSN they might ask me how did you work and if tell them if I worked on volunteer based still I am afraid they may think something else

I am not sure how do I handle this situation and I really need this job .. any advise

If you worked for a for-profit company on H4 that is unauthorized employment.

Archived