B2 visa for retired widowed father

yeswekay

Hello, 

Background: My father is a retired banker. He is retired since 12 years. After my mother's recent demise I want to take my father along with me to the US for 3-4 months, to give him a change of place. I am a graduate student at a reputed university in SF Bay area on H4, and my husband also works for a popular search engine giant, on H1b.  

And these are my questions: 

1. We are here in India as my mother passed away recently. Both mine and my husband's visas are expiring in April 2013. (4 months away). We will renew it as soon as we get back. We are thinking of applying for my father's visa in next few weeks. Will it harm my father's visa chances if our visa's are expiring soon?

2. In the above scenario, in the ds-160 form, would you suggest mentioning my dad's trip as self-payed or sponsored by my husband (his son-in-law)?  If my father self - sponsors his trip, how much annual income should he have to be on the safer side? He has property, and several FD deposits, and a rental income. But as he is a pensioner his annual income is under 3 lakhs. 

3. I hear inviting parents for graduation ceremony is a good bet to get  a visa easily, especially if the university is well known. I am graduating in May. Do I invite him to come for 3 months from March to May? Or because our visas are currently not renewed, do I just invite him to stay with us from Januray to March, before visa ends in April? We will surely renew it as soon as we go back in January. But can we convince the VO about it? 

4. Do we mention about my mother's recent demise and my father coming to stay with me (his only daughter) to get a change of place? Will it harm or help?  Also my father's unmarried sister lives with him in India. She is retiring from her job in March 2014.  

Thank You.

Looking forward to your replies. 

Hello, 

Background: My father is a retired banker. He is retired since 12 years. After my mother's recent demise I want to take my father along with me to the US for 3-4 months, to give him a change of place. I am a graduate student at a reputed university in SF Bay area on H4, and my husband also works for a popular search engine giant, on H1b.  

And these are my questions: 

1. We are here in India as my mother passed away recently. Both mine and my husband's visas are expiring in April 2013. (4 months away). We will renew it as soon as we get back. We are thinking of applying for my father's visa in next few weeks. Will it harm my father's visa chances if our visa's are expiring soon?

2. In the above scenario, in the ds-160 form, would you suggest mentioning my dad's trip as self-payed or sponsored by my husband (his son-in-law)?  If my father self - sponsors his trip, how much annual income should he have to be on the safer side? He has property, and several FD deposits, and a rental income. But as he is a pensioner his annual income is under 3 lakhs. 

3. I hear inviting parents for graduation ceremony is a good bet to get  a visa easily, especially if the university is well known. I am graduating in May. Do I invite him to come for 3 months from March to May? Or because our visas are currently not renewed, do I just invite him to stay with us from Januray to March, before visa ends in April? We will surely renew it as soon as we go back in January. But can we convince the VO about it? 

4. Do we mention about my mother's recent demise and my father coming to stay with me (his only daughter) to get a change of place? Will it harm or help?  Also my father's unmarried sister lives with us. She is retiring from her job in March 2014.  

Thank You.

Looking forward to your replies. 

Sorry to hear about your loss.

1. Your visa and status in US is irrelevant to your dad's visa application or its outcome.

2. Better to self-sponsored. Get a suitable financial document summarizing his assets with the help of a CA.

3. Yes, why not. Send an invitation letter for his presence during your graduation day.

4. In my opinion it might harm.  Do not expect VO to sympathize with your dad.

Archived