Help needed with form DS160

harish.t.krishnan

Hi all,

I had my H1 visa with Company A. I found a new opportunity with Company B and applied for H1 transfer. I got my H1 transferred but I need to go to India get it stamped before starting to work for Company B.

When I was filing form DS160,

Under Present Work/Education section, under Present Employer, should I indicate Company B (since H1 is approved) or Company A as current employer ?

Appreciate you help in advance.

Thanks.

Hi all,

I had my H1 visa with Company A. I found a new opportunity with Company B and applied for H1 transfer. I got my H1 transferred but I need to go to India get it stamped before starting to work for Company B.

When I was filing form DS160,

Under Present Work/Education section, under Present Employer, should I indicate Company B (since H1 is approved) or Company A as current employer ?

Appreciate you help in advance.

Thanks.

If you have not started working with company B then you cannot mention company B as your current employer.

I have been getting this mixed response. Some say Company A and others Company B.

Why Company A when they no longer hold my H1? 

Why Company B when I have not yet started working for them?

This really confuses me. Is it ok if I indicate N/A under current employer and indicate Company A as my previous employer?

Company A is your old employer if you have resigned. If you have not then company A will be your current employer.

In my post above, I answered "Company A", based on the fact that you, OP, said in the first post of this thread that you hadn't started working for Company B yet. Also, since you also said you were in the US currently, and that you were waiting to join company B, it means that in order to be in valid H-1B status, you would still be working with Company A (I hope). Hence, the current employer, by that logic, would be Company A.

If, however, you have resigned from Company A, and are yet to join Company B, what visa status are you on, and are you in status?

Archived